When Is the Best Time of the Year To Move?
If you’re considering a move to a new home or apartment, you are probably wondering “When is the best time to move?” While this seems like a simple question with a simple answer, it’s more complex than you may think. Let’s consider all the different aspects involved in deciding the best time of year for you to move.
Moving in Spring
Pros of Moving in Spring
Moving in the spring offers several benefits.
- Mild Weather: The weather during spring is generally milder, providing a more comfortable and predictable environment for the moving process.
- More Daylight: Increased daylight hours contribute to extended work periods, allowing for efficient packing and organizing.
- School Schedule: Springtime aligns well with the school schedule, enabling families with children to transition between homes without disrupting their education.
Cons of Moving in Spring
Moving in the spring comes with certain drawbacks.
- Higher Prices: Spring is a popular time for real estate transactions, leading to increased demand and potentially elevated costs when it comes to moving.
- Allergies: These can pose a challenge during the spring months, with pollen and other allergens in the air potentially affecting individuals’ well-being during the moving process.
Moving in Summer
Pros of Moving in Summer
Moving in the summer offers several advantages.
- No School: With schools on break, families can relocate without disrupting their children’s educational schedule. Since schools are typically on break during the summer months, relocating during this time minimizes the impact on their academic routine. This allows children to smoothly transition to a new school without missing valuable classroom time, ensuring a more seamless adjustment to their new environment.
- Reliable Weather: Weather tends to be more reliable during the summer, reducing the risk of unforeseen disruptions due to extreme conditions.
Cons of Moving in Summer
There are some downsides to moving in the summer that add complexity and challenges to a move.
- Peak Season: Summer is considered the peak moving season, which means moving services and rental rates might be in higher demand, potentially leading to increased costs.
- Hot Weather: High temperatures during the summer can make the moving process physically demanding and uncomfortable for the individuals relocating and the moving crew.
- Summer Rain: In some areas, summer rain can be an issue. Wet conditions could make loading and unloading belongings more difficult, potentially causing damage to items and delaying the process. Slippery surfaces can also pose safety risks for both movers and your belongings. It’s important to plan for these potential issues and take precautions to protect your belongings and ensure a smooth move despite the rainy weather.
Moving in Fall
Pros of Moving in the Fall
Advantages to moving during the fall season include:
- Lower Prices: Fall typically has lower prices for moving after the peak season of summer because the demand for moving services and housing tends to decrease after the summer rush.
- Comfortable Weather: Milder temperatures and reduced humidity in the fall provide a more pleasant environment for the moving process.
Cons of Moving in the Fall
The downside to moving in the fall is the disruption it can cause for families with school-aged children.
- Back to School: The “back to school” season can disrupt the moving process for families with school-aged children. Adjusting to new schools and routines while settling into a new home can be challenging. This can add additional stress and complexities to the moving experience during this time of year.
Moving in Winter
Pros of Moving in Winter
Winter is an off-peak period for moving which has advantages.
- Lowest Prices: Winter has the potential for the lowest prices compared to other seasons. Since winter is typically considered an off-peak period for moving, there may be reduced demand for moving services and housing, leading to cost savings for those looking to relocate.
Cons of Moving in Winter
Moving in the winter months presents some challenges.
- Harsh Weather: The possibility of harsh weather conditions, including cold temperatures, snow, ice, and potential storms can make the moving process more difficult or hazardous and less predictable
Winter storms and road closures can disrupt the moving schedule and potentially lead to delays.. Adequate preparation, proper packing, and coordination with professional movers can help mitigate these challenges and ensure a successful winter move.
- Shorter Days There is less daylight available for the moving process during winter months, potentially prolonging the time it takes to complete tasks and adding logistical complexities.
- Holidays: There are so many reasons to avoid moving around the holidays, although increased traffic is one of the primary reasons. If you move close to Christmas or Thanksgiving, traffic may be heavy on the highways due to people traveling to see their families causing complications or schedule delays. To navigate these challenges, it’s essential to plan well in advance, communicate with moving services early, and consider the potential impact of holiday-related factors on your moving timeline.
Key Factors to Consider When Moving
Your Personal Schedule
Your personal schedule is one thing to consider because you’ll want to choose a time that aligns with your commitments, like work or school.
No one wants to overpay to move from one place to another. The most cost-effective time to move is from September through April. Most moves occur between Memorial Day and Labor Day so moving companies often discount their services in the off-season. You might be able to save a little money if you move between Monday and Thursday because movers are busiest on weekends including Fridays.
The Housing Market
Understanding trends and demand in the housing market can impact the availability and cost of properties, influencing your decision on when and where to move.
If the weather is your biggest concern, you’ll need to be flexible with your move date to work around it.
Having kids in school is one of the biggest deterrents when figuring out when the best time to move is, and it’s one of the main reasons that so many moves happen during the summer.
How to Plan a Smooth Move
When you prepare for a full-service move, starting early is essential, because it allows you to avoid last-minute stress, so you have a smooth and organized transition to your new home. Here are a few tips about how to prepare early:
Create a Timeline: Establish a timeline for your move, outlining important dates such as packing, hiring movers, and notifying relevant parties.
Declutter: Start sorting through your belongings and decide what to keep, donate, or discard. Decluttering will make packing and moving easier.
Gather Supplies: Collect packing materials such as boxes, tape, bubble wrap, and packing paper. Having these on hand will help streamline the packing process.
Create a Moving Binder: Organize important documents, such as moving contracts, leases, and checklists, in a dedicated moving binder for easy access.
Notify Services: Inform utility companies, postal services, schools, and other relevant parties about your upcoming move.
Research Moving Options: Research moving companies, gather quotes, and schedule your movers as early as possible to secure your preferred dates.
Pack Room by Room: Begin packing one room at a time to avoid feeling overwhelmed. Label boxes with their contents and the room they belong to.
Start Early: Begin packing non-essential items well in advance to avoid last-minute stress.
Change Address: Submit a change of address form with the post office to ensure your mail is forwarded to your new location.
Notify Contacts: Inform friends, family, and important contacts about your new address and contact information.
Plan for Pets: If you have pets, arrange for their transportation and accommodation during the move.
Measure Furniture: Measure doorways and spaces in your new home to ensure your furniture will fit through.
Plan for Children: If you have children, plan for their care and comfort during the move.
Pack an Essentials Box: Pack a box with essentials like toiletries, clothes, and important documents that you’ll need immediately upon arrival.
By preparing early and tackling tasks gradually, you will ensure a less stressful move to your new home.
Create a Moving Checklist
Creating a comprehensive moving checklist helps you stay organized, ensuring you don’t overlook any important details or items to address before and during the move.
Hire a Professional Moving Company
Professional movers are the experts who know how to pack and move your belongings safely and efficiently, saving you time and reducing your stress. At Not A Hobby Moving, we provide you with a stress-free moving experience making moving easy, affordable, and reliable, no matter what time of year you move. We offer full moving services including packing, unpacking, loading, and unloading. We take pride in serving our Austin community and all the surrounding neighborhoods as well as the state of Texas.
If you need a professional moving company to help you with your move, we offer pricing you won’t find elsewhere. We take pride in our attention to detail. All of your belongings are safe and secure in our hands. Call us today for a free moving quote. Trust Not A Hobby Moving to handle your move safely and efficiently.